Los Angeles County Science Olympiad Event Scoring
At the end of the Science Olympiad Tournament Awards Ceremony the final scores will be available on the Web site (http://lacountyscienceolympid.org). At some tournaments each team’s head coach will be provided one copy of the final scores.
Places and scores are tentative and may change if any scoring inconsistencies are brought to the attention of the arbitrators and verified within one hour after the ceremony is completed. If changes occur, the appropriate medals and trophies will be awarded. Teams will not be asked to return awards. Scores for the Los Angeles County Science Olympiad are not official until they are posted on the Los Angeles County Science Olympiad Web site and contain the words "Final Scores".
Scoring Guidelines for Event Supervisors
(NOTE: This is information given to each Event Supervisor who runs the event and is responsible for providing a final score for each team entered in the event.)
- Each team that participates and competes according to the rules must be scored and ranked. Please account for all teams and make every effort to break ties, following the guidelines under the scoring section of the event rules, where applicable. In the rare event that a tie can't be broken, award points according to the place tied and then skip the next place (e.g., all teams tied for 3rd place get 3 points)
- Teams/devices that do not meet the requirements in the event rules will be allowed to compete if possible and are to be scored and ranked below teams that met all of the specifications. Those teams will be awarded event points in relation to their rank. Event Supervisors may, at their discretion, allow students to modify any device before it is impounded to bring it into compliance with the rules. That discretion, if extended, must be made available to all competitors equally. Any modification must be completed,and the device impounded, before the expiration of the impound period. Supervisors and Officials may not provide assistance regarding the type of modifications or how to accomplish them prior to, or at any time during the tournament day. Supervisors are encouraged to post or have available student self-checklists such as those posted at the National Science Olympiad Web site.
- Teams that make an honest attempt to participate and cannot be assigned a raw score because of time, mechanical failure, wrong dimensions, etc., will be listed as a “P” for Participationfor the raw score on the score sheet and will be awarded N points. “N” is equal to the number of teams registered to compete in the Tournament (we expect 20 to 30 teams for each division) as shown on your score sheet. Any device, which, in the judgment of the Event Supervisor, is a safety hazard to competitors, judges, or spectators, will not be allowed to compete and will be listed as a P (Participation) for the raw score on the score sheet and will be awarded N points.
- If a team does not show up or does not make an honest attempt to participate, the team will be listed as a No Show or “NS” for the raw score on the score sheet and awarded N+1 points. This includes teams who may be present but display no preparation for the competition.
- Teams should be Disqualified or “DQ” only for misbehavior (to include excessive use of improper or vulgar language) or cheating. Put DQ as raw score and award N+2 points on the score sheet. Also, note on the score sheet the reason why teams were disqualified. Event Supervisors may remove from competition any student(s) whose personal or ethical behavior does not adhere to the Science Olympiad Code of Ethics. This action will disqualify the affected student(s) from participation and scoring in that event only. If any team is DQed or Ranked Below Others, inform the student (and remind the student to inform their coach) as soon as a problem occurs. Notify the head coach immediately if the DQ is determined after students have left. Be sure to list the detailed reason for the disqualification on the score sheet.
- Teams that were scored and had a raw score placed on the answer sheet, are to be awarded points for each place as follows: 1st – 1 point, 2nd – 2 points, - up to Nth place– N points
- Recap: Teams considered as PARTICIPATION, NO SHOW, OR DISQUALIFIED will be ranked and assigned points as follows:
|Participation (P)||P = N points||20–30*|
|No Show (NS)||NS = N + 1 points||21–31*|
|Disqualified (DQ)||DQ = N + 2 points||22–32*|
*(Note: N = number of teams registered to compete for each division of the tournament not the number of teams that actually enter the event. It is possible to have 30 or more teams registered for each division in this tournament.)
- Provide raw scores and any supporting documentation when turning in the score sheet (answer sheets, master answer key, student papers, etc.). When turning in your scores, you will be asked to participate in a Score Counseling session to explain how you scored the teams (formulas, tie-breakers, etc.) for all 20 to 30 places, double checking that the forms are filled out accurately before they are entered into the computer. This will cut down on questions and mistakes that are discovered after the tournament. Please record the reason why a team was disqualified, not ranked, ranked below, or received only a participation score.
Note: At the end of the Los Angeles County Science Olympiad Awards Ceremony each team’s head coach will be provided one copy of the final scores. Events scores and places aretentative and may change if any scoring inconsistencies are brought to the attention of the arbitrators and verified in consultation with the Event Supervisors and/or examination of event documents (tests, raw scores, etc.). If scores change and, consequently, place changes occur, appropriate medals and trophies will be awarded. Scores for the Los Angeles County Science Olympiad are not official until they are posted on the Los Angeles County Science Olympiad Web site and are designated as final scores.